Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Tribute to My Daddy - RIP Al Ruf
















My daddy passed away on June 29, 2010 (my birthday) at the age of 84. He was a wonderful man who had strong family values and was always willing to help others. He was always cheerful and smiling and was loved by those who knew him. He had been getting progressively more sick and weak over the past 6 months to 1 year, but the last few months were especially tough. He was falling often, and my mom was having to provide a great deal of care for him. We knew he had kidney insufficiency but did not realize it was progressing so quickly. He went into the hospital in early June but was able to go home one week later. However, he went back into the hospital on June 20 (Fathers Day) with severe fluid build up. When he was admitted he told all of us that he felt certain he would not be going back home. He knew. The doctors tried a few things, such as IV diuretics. However, these cannot be continued on a long-term basis. Short of dialysis, which daddy was adamant he did not want, the doctors did not have any other options. He was in end stage renal failure, which could not be reversed. He also had a mass on his kidney that was thought to be cancer. He was also in liver failure due to non-alcohol related cirrhosis. As a family, including daddy, we decided to admit him to hospice for his final days. They discontinued all of the kidney and blood pressure medications and only left him on comfort medications, including those for pain, nausea and anxiety/agitation. He was admitted to hospice on Saturday and was basically in a coma-like state by Sunday night. Saturday he was alert and awake and even got to hold Zachary, which we got pictures and video of. Sunday afternoon he talked just a little but was very tired. Sunday was the last day I heard my daddy's voice or saw his eyes open. When I returned Monday morning he was completely in a coma. By Monday evening he was becoming restless with muscle spasms and shallow breathing. I left my mom with him Monday night, and he died Tuesday morning around 9:15 AM. He died with my mom by his side holding his hand, and she said he went very peacefully. My brother and I arrived at the hospital within minutes after daddy passed. It was very peaceful to see him that way. His struggle was over and he was no longer sick and in pain.

While we all continue to grieve the loss of such a wonderful man, we rest easy knowing that he is spending eternity with his Heavenly Father. I had the opportunity to have a long talk with daddy a few days before he died, and he assured me that he had given his heart to Jesus, knew he was going to Heaven and was not scared of dying. What more could I ask for? And I know that I will see him again someday.

Daddy had a beautiful funeral service followed by a graveside service with full military honors at the Veterans cemetary. Daddy would have been so honored by this service, as it is what he always wanted. Mom was presented with the American flag that covered his casket and it is now in a flag case on their fireplace mantel.

I have included some pictures of my daddy and even a video of the first time Zachary visited his "Poppy" in Knoxville. I feel so blessed that daddy lived long enough to meet Zachary. And it was amazing how taken Zachary was with Poppy. Even in this video you can see how he just looks at Poppy, watches his every move and even imitates him. What wonderful memories! I am just sorry that Zachary and I don't have more time with Poppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment